New Zealand, Top Stories, USA, World - Saturday, March 30, 2013 22:33 - 0 Comments
By Dirk Godder
Seoul (dpa) – North Korea announced Saturday that it was in a state of war with South Korea, in its ongoing angry rhetoric against South Korea and the United States.
In a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), Pyongyang said all inter-Korean issues would be dealt with in a wartime manner.
The two Koreas have technically remained at war after a ceasefire – and not a peace treaty – ended the 1950-53 Korean War.
The military was waiting for further orders from leader Kim Jong Un, KCNA reported.
On Friday, Kim issued orders to prepare strategic missiles for attack on the US and South Korea.
Pyongyang was reacting to a show of force by US stealth fighters that flew a 20,000-kilometre round trip to drop dummy bombs onto a South Korean training ground.
Despite the latest threat, North Korea was still allowing commuters through its border, the Defence Ministry in Seoul said.
Relations have deteriorated since North Korea’s third nuclear test on February 12, which led to a strengthening of international sanctions against it.
It has since issued repeated threats, including pre-emptive nuclear attacks.
Hundreds of South Koreans travel across the border to the jointly run Kaesong industrial complex daily, except Sundays. The park is one of the only sources of foreign currency for impoverished, isolated North Korea.
- First woman in history named as Obama’s head of Secret Service
- The overhauling of straight America
- Mourdock’s words “twisted” following rape comment
- 911 caller tells dispatcher he murdered his mother and sister
- Deaf boy forbidden from signing his own name
- Votes from beyond the grave
- Obama pays visit to German automotive plant
- Missing Wis. college student found dead
- Children’s author Jan Berenstain dies
- Escaped gorillas lured with marshmallow’s
- Boy, 10, shoots 9-year-old brother
- Bus driver snoozes, bus goes wild
- 101-year-old woman evicted from her home
- 4.5M sign Google SOPA petition
- Good Samaritan gets hit by train in NYC
- White House: Man sentenced to die not CIA
- Chicago boy, 4, beat to death on birthday
- Off-duty NYC cop subdues unruly passenger
- Author: Don’t blame book for kid whippings
- 5 die in fire at Calif. home for disabled
- Two year old Washington boy missing
- Sergeant admits taking body parts
- Pilot lands plane while suffering heart attack
- Teen found in noose at scare park
- Three dead in Northeast snowstorm
- Obama hands out candy to trick-or-treaters
- Police suspect cemetery animal sacrifices
- FBI investigate Amish violence
- Missing girl’s mom wants national search
- WW II-era bomb found in N.C. woods
- Witness in murder trail collapses on the stand
- Invincible cat in Utah survives euthanasia twice
- Obama dedicates Martin Luther King Jr memorial
- Father to stand trial in son’s death
- Cake-stealing bear on the run from authorities
- Parents of boy who beat girl nearly to death claim he was bullied by the victim
- Women caught trying to sell babies
- Man jailed for biting daughter
- Teenage girl stabbed by boyfriend at L.A high school