New Zealand - Wednesday, February 25, 2015 20:30 - 2 Comments
Fluoride in drinking water may trigger depression and weight gain, warn UK scientists.
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) in women was at least 30% more likely in areas with fluoride levels in excess of 0.3 mg/l, confirms new research just published in Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. Hypothyroidism causes weight gain and depression, among other things. The NZ Ministry of Heatlh recommends fluoride chemicals be added to water at 0.7mg/L to 1mg/L.
According to the researchers “In many areas of the world, hypothyroidism is a major health concern and in addition to other factors such as iodine deficiency fluoride exposure should be considered as a contributing factor. The findings of the study raise particular concerns about the validity of community fluoridation as a safe public health measure”.
“People have always been concerned about fluoridation’s ability to lower thyroid activity since it was known that doctors in Argentina, France and Germany used fluoride to lower thyroid function in people with hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Finally we have solid research confirming these fears”, says Dr Paul Connett, an international expert on fluoridation who is touring New Zealand at present.
“This clears up two mysteries. Many people who report being sensitive to fluoride have the same symptoms as those with hypothyroidism. Secondly, this offers an additional explanation as to why fluoride lowers IQ in children”, adds Dr Bill Hirzy, former senior scientist at the US Environmental Protection Agency, who is touring with Dr Connett.
Hypothyroidism is a huge problem in New Zealand with thousands of women being diagnosed every year. Iodine deficiency is also prevalent. Hypothyrodism during pregnancy can lower the child’s IQ by 7 points, according to 1999 research published by the US National Institute for Child Health and Human Development . The same 7 point IQ drop was shown by a Harvard University meta-analysis of 27 IQ studies in 2012,.
“This research invalidates the conclusions of the recent New Zealand Fluoridation Report that claimed fluoridation is safe”. says Mary Byrne, National Co-ordinator of health advocacy group Fluoride-Free NZ.
“The 23 New Zealand councils (out of a total of 67) that are still fluoridating need to stop immediately. There is no justification for continuing to add fluoridation chemicals to their community’s water supply when they cannot guarantee safety and now we have evidence of harm at this level. The claimed reason for fluoridation to reduce dental decay is now out-dated since promoters admit the primary benefit is from contact to the outside of the tooth, not from swallowing. So there is not even a benefit /risk to weigh up since fluoridation is all about risk. And even if it weren’t, thyroid function is far more important to a person’s overall health than a dental filling”, says Ms Byrne.
Effective, education based programs for reducing dental decay as used in Scotland and Wales, along with similar programs in NZ, provide safe, effective oral health improvements without the unacceptable health risks of water fluoridation now confirmed by solid research. The Childsmile program in Scotland has more than halved the cost of treating dental disease by reducing the number of hospital admissions required.
The UK thyroid research was based on complete data provided by 7935 (out of 8020) UK general practices. The researchers also carried out a secondary analysis, comparing two built up areas, one of which (West Midlands) was supplied with fluoridated drinking water, and the other of which (Greater Manchester) was not. They found general practices in West Midlands were twice as likely to report high hypothyroid prevalence.
- The new Jihadis – Islam and extremism in New Zealand
- Study – chances of alien civilisations lower than thought
- New Zealand museum insults one of Islam’s most revered prophets
- Bones discovered in Coromandel bush
- The Pill, Abortion and Breast Cancer – new evidence emerges
- New book blasts Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens as ‘god deluded’
- 10 Ways To Deal With A Climate Change believer – The BBQ Guide
- Last Flight Of The Dragonfly – Investigate Dec 05
- Totalitaria is coming: the State bans citizens from recording officials..
- Why the Waitangi Tribunal is lying to Maori
- New Zealand media got punked by US Govt over flying TPPA, national security visit
- It’s official – there could be snakes in NZ
- Editorial – Oct/Nov 2014 Investigate
- Compulsory Buddhism in schools
- The smacking debate
- ISIS – air strikes won’t do it
- Why Auckland’s draft unitary plan is daft
- NSA spies on Kiwis – journalist
- More Dirty Politics – Greens accused of lying about NZ dairy industry
- NZ First calls for halt to aerial 1080 drops
- Kauri dieback not as widespread as feared
- Britain on high alert over ISIS threat
- Hospital pays $190 million in damages
- NZ reacts to Russian troop movements
- Judith Collins forced to resign – the fallout
- The banal political correctness of social media
- Dissecting the Ebola virus – one of the riskiest jobs in the world
- Cyberattacks – the stuff you don’t know about
- ISIS in Syria: where to from here?
- The Flying Droner Service
- Kim Dotcom’s links to Nicky Hager Dirty Politics book revealed in text messages
- Breaking news – did Nicky Hager breach basic journalism standards in new Dirty Politics book?
- Actor Robin Williams found dead
- Transmission Gully greenlighted
- New Winston Peters book highly entertaining
- Gingko biloba and the Tebonin extract – Tree of Life?
- This morally and politically derelict government shames us – Amy Brooke
- Goodnight Malaysian…
- Blinded by the light – eco bulbs and smartphone screens a major sight risk